Call it "Red Bull Festivus." Fun for the whole platoon!
And, during downtimes between the Feats of Strength and the Airing of Deployment Grievances, you can also impress your friends with this Trivial Test of Red Bull Trivia:
1) Which American regionalist painter designed the Red Bull patch?
a. Grant WoodAnswer: B.
b. Marvin Cone
c. Thomas Hart Benton
d. John Steuart Curry
2) What does the shape of the black background on the 34th Inf. Div. patch signify?
a. A tribal shaman's medicine bagAnswer: C.
b. A canteen
c. A Mexican jug called an "olla"
d. A keg of beer
3) What is the official motto of the 34th Inf. Div.?
a. "Redezvous with Destiny"Answer: D! D! D!
b. "On the Horns of Victory"
c. "Insquequo bos devenio domus"
d. "Attack! Attack! Attack!"
4) In the division's current formation, which of the following units does NOT wear the Red Bull patch?
a. 1st Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division (1-34th BCT), Minnesota National GuardAnswer: C. The 32nd BCT is named after the 32nd Infantry "Red Arrow" Division.
b. 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division (2-34th BCT), Iowa National Guard
c. 32nd Brigade Combat Team, Wisconsin National Guard
d. 34th Combat Aviation Brigade ("CAB"), Minnesota National Guard
5) What was the nickname of the 34th Inf. Div. prior to "Red Bull" designation of World War II?
a. Prairie DivisionAnswer: B. It was sandy and windy in 1917 New Mexico.
b. Sandstorm Division
c. Hawkeye Division
d. Plowshare Division
6) Which celebrated military unit with non-Midwestern roots fought alongside Red Bull soldiers in World War II Italy?
a. 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry
b. 100th Infantry Battalion
c. Polish Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade
d. Abraham Lincoln Brigade
7) Prior to fighting in World War II Normandy, Holland, and Germany, which Red Bull unit had previously served in the Cow War?
a. 1st Battalion, 133rd Infantry Regiment (1-133rd Inf.)Answer: C.
b. 1st Battalion, 168th Infantry Regiment (1-168th Inf.)
c. 1st Squadron, 113th Cavalry Regiment (1-113rd Cav.)
d. 34th Veterinary Special Troops Battalion (34th V.S.T.B.)
8) In World War II, volunteers from the 34th Inf. Div. served as a majority of the 500 original members of which of the following modern U.S. Army formations?
a. RangersAnswer: A.
d. Green Berets
9) Which of the following is not an accomplishment of the 34th Inf. Div., whether in whole or in part?
a. First U.S. unit to arrive in European theater, World War II.Answer: E. It was second such unit. Vermont National Guard's 86th BCT was the first.
b. First U.S. unit to arrive in North African theater, World War II.
c. Most days of combat in World War II.
d. Longest-deployed Army unit to Iraq, Operation Enduring Freedom (OIF). (1-34th BCT)
e. First U.S. National Guard brigade to act as a "battlespace owner" in Afghan theater, Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF). (2-34th BCT)
10) Which American Civil War volunteer unit, which maintains lineage within the 34th Inf. Div., was the first to offer its services to President Abraham Lincoln?
a. The First Iowa RegimentAnswer: D. Now the 2nd Battalion, 135th Infantry (2-135th Inf.), Minnesota National Guard.
b. The Second Iowa Regiment
c. The Third Iowa Regiment
d. The First Minnesota Regiment
11) What is the special designation (the "official nickname") of Iowa's 133rd Infantry Regiment?
a. IronmanAnswer: C.
c. First Iowa
12) What is the special designation of Iowa's 168th Infantry Regiment?
a. First IowaAnswer: C.
b. Second Iowa
c. Third Iowa