According to the call for submissions, entrants can submit to a contest in which each category carries a first-prize of $250, or submit to the anthology alone. All entries will be considered for the anthology. There is no entry fee to the contest or publication.
Through the efforts of the Warriors Arts Alliance, the Missouri Humanities Council, and Southeast Missouri State University Press, the first "Proud to Be" volume was published in November 2012. The second was published last December.
"[T]his series of anthologies preserves and shares the perspectives of our military and veterans of all conflicts and of their families," reads the Southeast Missouri State University Press contest page. "It is not only an outlet for artistic expression but also a document of the unique aspects of wartime in our nation’s history."
For a 2012 Red Bull Rising interview with "Proud to Be" editor Susan Swartout, click here.
To submit only to the 2014 anthology, mail previously unpublished work with self-addressed, stamped envelope (S.A.S.E.) for notification to:
Warriors AnthologyTo submit to both contest and anthology, e-mail previously unpublished work to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Also note:
Southeast Missouri State University Press, MS 2650
Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63701
- Entries must be sent electronically as Microsoft Word files (.doc or .docx).
- Keep poems in one document (with 1st poem as title).
- Put your name and contact info on first page and nowhere else on the manuscript.
- Limit one submission in each category per person.
- Poetry: up to 3 poems (5 pages maximum).
- Fiction, essay, or interview: 5,000-word limit.
- Photography: up to 3 good-quality photos (will be printed in the book as black and white).
- Submissions exceeding the limits will be disqualified.
- Include a biography of 75 words or less with each submission.
- Winners and contributors will be notified by Nov. 1, 2014.